Friday, September 10, 2010

Welcome to our 2010-2011 School year!!

Hello everyone!!

We are off to a great start! I want to let you know a little bit about the start up for enrichment. I begin the year by going into all of the classrooms and doing a "Push-in" lesson. This is a lesson through teacher invitation where I can introduce myself to the students and give them a fun challenge outside of the regular curriculum. These will start next week and will take about 3 weeks to complete. On 9/29 I will go on the Beauty of Bronze field trip with the Washington 5th graders and on 10/1 I will attend the same field trip with the Lewis and Clark 5th graders.

Late September, early October we will work on identifying students for enrichment pull-out classes. 4th and 5th graders will be identified through the MAPS testing in Reading and Math (this was taken last year and some schools may choose to take it again this fall). We also use the CogAt test results from 3rd grade to place this year 4th graders into Studio classes.

3rd grade teachers will also be using the MAPS tests (which they will take in the next few weeks) to help place students in enrichment for this year, but the students won't be officially identified until their 4th grade year.

K-2 students are placed in enrichment based on teacher nomination. We do have forms for teachers to use for the nomination process. Most students attending enrichment are working well above grade level as shown through some type of district or teacher assessment.

The identification process takes several weeks- students need to take assessments and the data needs to be collected and reviewed. This is why we do not start pulling students for enrichment until the first week of October.

If you have any questions about this process, please feel free to call me at school or check out the enrichment link on the WSD website. I am looking forward to a great year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment