At Washington last week, the students worked on an Acrostic Poem of their name. This week they really wanted to finish them, so I gave them time to finish their creative writing and beautiful illustrations. I will be putting these up in the classroom. We will start our first story next week.
At L & C since we didn't meet last week, I decided to go ahead and start our first story. We discussed Jr. Great Books and the expectations of the program, and then read together, "The Happy Lion". Students verbally gave their first reactions, comments and thoughts about the story after the first reading. They were given a yellow folder and put the story plus a sheet with three questions on it to take home. Their homework is to read the story a second time with you, their parent. You can read it to them, they can read it to you, or you can take turn reading pages- whatever works for you and your child. You will see three questions throughout the story on the margin of the of the text. Stop at those questions and ask your child what they think about the question. Feel free to discuss it with them- allow them to hear your thoughts as well as listen to theirs. Once they have decided what they believe to be the best answer, have them write their response on the question sheet provided. This is due on their next enrichment day. When they come back we will have our inquiry discussion about the story.
I will see WA students next week, so we will start the story "The Happy Lion". I will not see L&C students next week due to conferences, so both groups will have their inquiry discussion the following week on 10/28 and 10/30.
Have a great weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment