Today was our first day to meet. We are lucky because I get to see them for 45 minutes rather than 30, so we get quite a bit accomplished in each class period. Unfortunately, we meet on Fridays so we end up missing several more class periods. =)
So, if I know I won't see them for 2 weeks, I am going to give them extra reading because they have a lot of time to get it completed. I told them that I am OK with giving them extra reading because I know that they are good readers and, hopefully, love to read and would be reading something during that time anyway... =)
This week we started "The Tales of Despereaux". My goal was to read to them through chapter 6, but we ran out of time, so I think I only made it to chapter 5. They need to continue reading THROUGH chapter 12- and stop before chapter 13. I gave them two bookmarks- green for go, this should be at the start of where they are going to read, and red for stop- this should stay between the pages where they need to stop for that week.
They also have a paper that they need to complete. It has vocabulary words on one side and questions about the story to answer on the other. I modeled this with them as we read the first several chapters together. I believe the main way that high readers continue to grow is to increase their vocabulary. The higher the vocabulary, the more complex stories they can read. If they don't know the meaning of words, they will lose the comprehension and the story will not make sense to them- the more words they know the stronger readers they will become. So, to that purpose, I would like them to define the words on the vocabulary sheet. They can use Google Dictionary.com or just a plain old English Dictionary =) to find the meanings.
I will not see them next week because of conferences, so their homework reading to chapter 13, as well as looking up vocabulary words and answering the questions about the story are due on October 30.
Have a great weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment