This week we are reviewing how to find the area of squares and rectangles. I started by asking the students if I wanted to buy carpet to fit in this portable, how would I know how much to buy? We then discussed finding the perimeter- so we would know the length of each side (we discussed the rules of rectangles- four 90 degree angles and equal opposite sides). Then they decided to multiply the length times the width to find the area. So groups measured the walls of the portable and we found our answer.
We then did other samples of rectangles on the board and found the areas. The students found the answers, compared and discussed their answers with their neighbor and then we answered each problem as a whole group. We then created more complex shapes and learned how to find the rectangles and squares (using the rules of rectangles) and then added the areas together.
We will spend a bit more time next week looking at other types of shapes and finding their area. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment